27 October 2010

Shu kran – Af ron

While waiting in Paris for my flight to Tel Aviv I met a beautiful Jordanian woman, Hiam.  She was traveling back home to Aman, Jordan from Toronto where she had spent 4 months taking care of her younger sister who is in remission from breast cancer.  She has two other younger sisters, 3 children and 5 grandchildren.  Her husband has relatives in San Francisco.  

I told Haim I was traveling to Jerusalem.  Hiam loves Jerusalem and as a young woman just out of high school she taught Arabic and math at a schools there for 4 years, before she married and moved back to Jordan. 

She offered me a ginger candy and then another.  I was mindful not to refuse, since this was a small gift for having helped her confirm that she was at the right gate. 

Our entire interaction occurred without my knowing Arabic at all.  She had few English words but could understand more what I was saying in English than I could understand what she was saying Arabic.

This has always been a point of embarrassment for me, and for most of us Americans.  We know English, but few know any other language.  People of other countries in this world often know English as well as their own language, and if they don't know it fluently they can at the very least converse or exchange vital information.  I am blessed because of my experience with sign language, I am not afraid to try to communicate even with gestures and exaggerated expressions in order to connect with people.  I am also very interested in people of other cultures.  So when given the opportunity to meet and connect with someone new, I will always welcome the blessing with gratitude.

And isn't that the point anyway, connection and gratitude. 

I knew as soon as Hiam approached me I would be meeting an interesting and beautiful person.  What a gift!

Hiam also taught me some Arabic:
Shu kran – Thank You
Af ròn – You are Welcome

If nothing else, I want to learn these two phrases in as many languages as possible, in order to express gratitude.  Who wants to help me?  Who wants to learn with me?!?!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment