26 October 2010

ATL

Waiting in the Atlanta airport for my next flight, I noticed not just the myriad of people from all over the world, speaking languages I couldn't easily identify, but the many, many US military personnel in
this international terminal. Where were they all going to? Afghanistan, Germany, some place else.....? Some guys (they were all guys) looked older, and not knowing anything about what the strips and bars on their sleeves meant, I assumed they were higher rank than the younger soldiers in their company.

Two young men caught my attention. They were not in the company of older soldiers and I watched them walk through the terminal to the food court, but it was clear these young men were new recruits. They seemed they were trying really hard not to reveal the "deer in the headlights" look in their eyes that I could see immediately. They walked with purpose and with an intentional confidence that they were
probably told to exhibit. Their camouflage backpacks matched their uniforms and I swear I could still see the creases still in them.

Mixed emotions came over me. These guys are someone's sons, maybe someone's brothers or someone else's boyfriends - going off to God-knows where for the first time. I was humbled with gratitude for their desire to serve in whatever part of the world they were bound for. At the same time, I was concerned for them, hoping and praying that whoever was to meet them on the other end of their trip would be able to guide them through this life changing transition they were on.

To all our troops, all over the world, from every country. May your time be short in whatever conflict you are engaged. May Peace Prevail On Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment