28 October 2010

Shalom, Salam, Peace

Jerusalem, 2:00 pm

Overwhelmed by the reality of being here, tears streamed down my cheeks as I took in my first glimpse of the Old City of Jerusalem, Y'rusha'lim, El Qdt (The Holy).  Amongst the din of tourists, buses and vendors I was overcome by the energy of history and sacredness in this place.  The oldest continuous Jewish cemetery is at the Mount of Olives, just below were I am standing.


Rabbi Ted, Pastor Don and Sheikh Jamal offered teachings of opening to the spirit of this place with our hearts, opening to the diversity of the history and meanings and of the how all of us struggle with separateness and oneness here.  The details of these wise teachers was heard my by heart, not by my pen, so I can't offer more here.  I chose to let my ears and heart listen and my breath was taking in all and offering my joy and gratitude to all of us and all of you.  I can feel you all here and feel the prayers.  We were also told by our organizer, Liz that 7,000 spiritual directors from Spiritual Directors International are praying for us on this journey - more tears came as the gravity of that presence was felt.

Then we walked down the road.  A road that Jesus and millions others have walked for thousands of years, to the Garden of Gethsemane.  A small dry garden with an abundance of olive trees, dusty ground and prayers.  Several groups where holding services in this holy place.  We gathered in the corner to again receive teaching from our guides.  Sheihk Jamal talked about the teaching of the trees.  Sufi teachers invite us to learn humility from them as they fill with fruit the bow to us in offering.  We can learn about diversity from trees - the branches will move differently in the wind, but are all connected at to roots.  We were reminded of Jesus' struggle in this garden and the humanness we are when trying to stay awake to wisdom.  After sharing our intentions for this journey with fellow pilgrims we heard the call to prayer.  The Mosques were calling to all of us to remember to praise God and honor one another.

I was simply being, praying, listening, learning, tearing and offering myself with gratitude.  We closed our time in the garden with chanting Peace in Hebrew, Arabic and English.
Shalom, Salam, Peace....Shalom, Salam, Peace....Shalom, Salam, Peace

I really felt our presence and prayers, the presence and prayers of others there, and our chanting the words "Peace" will make a difference - may it be so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment