27 October 2010

All the Same Color?

Jerusalem - 9:00pm

"We are entering Israeli air space. Everyone must stay in their seats until we land." The French accented voice announced over the intercom as we approached Tel Aviv.  Curious? Stay in our seats in Israeli air space?  How would Israel know if I didn't?

It felt like an extremely long approach and not just because I was anxious to arrive.  It felt like we were never going to descend below the clouds.  What did that mean?  Was I letting expectations come in?  Were the clouds to remind me to know that all is not clear and to wait for clarity?  I was getting an energetic sense that we were very near Israel, but I couldn't see any land.  Then I realized that I couldn't see land because we were over water.  Hmmm.... water not land.....flowing not ground....

We approached Israel, not from land but from the Mediterranean.  Then I saw the coast of Israel and my breath stopped for a minute.  "Wow!" was all I could say in my sleep deprived stupor.  I was really here!!

As we flew over the land I searched the landscape for anything that would "look" like Israel, or Tel Aviv.  Then I noticed that every building, every high rise, every low rise and every building under construction was the same color - light sand stone. Various shapes of buildings, different clusters of buildings in circles and geometrics, but all the same color.  In a land where resides the shapes, colors and beliefs of three of the world's major faiths, as well as so many other international people and ideas, I find it especially curious that all the buildings are the same color.  Building codes I have been told, but I will find out more.   

Can we present a certain belief, ideology or opinion outwardly when underneath that ideology or belief is more complicated, undeveloped and unclear?  Is it incongruent, lacking integrity or is it human?  Is it what we do to work out our beliefs - presenting them, being and receiving the mirror of others' responses, then refining as we go?


No comments:

Post a Comment