08 November 2010

Returning, Re-entering, Integrating

Back in California, the field outside my cottage window has become green in the 10 days I have been away.  Everything seems more intense, more alive.  Even the exhaustion in my body is more palpable, despite the time change that allowed for an extra hour of rest.  My body will re-adjust and return to this time zone.  My heart and spirit have changed forever.  How?  That is the question I am still answering.

The last two days in Israel-Palestine allowed me to celebrate the day of my birth in the most mystical place in Israel (and dare I say on the planet).  Safed is the home of the Jewish mystics, the "Ari," Rabbi Isaac Luria - the Lion.  He and his fellow rabbis and students gave the world the Kabbalah and the opportunity to enter into Judaism from a rich heart space.  When I learned about Judaism in seminary and studied with Rabbi Elisheva for my conversion 8 years ago, I entered the tradition through the mystical.  The place that invites me to release the need to think and understand from my head, and settle into the deeper listening place from my heart.

Entrance to Rabbi Isaac Luria's synagogue

inside the synagogue
"Shema" begins the most holy of Jewish prayers, "Listen."  Listen to the Oneness, to the place that calls us to the one - God.  The God that is One. The One that is in each of us.  Listen, all of us who struggle and long for deeper spiritual connection to that which is un-namable inside and outside of us - as Jacob (Israel) struggled with the angel in the desert.  Listen, even in the struggle, we are not alone, we are One.  Shema Israel Adonai Elohenu Adonai Ehad.

the art of David Friedman a Safed Kabbalahistic artist
this is his interpretation of the word "Shema" which I purchased
The Sea of Galilee fed us, literally and figuratively.  The clear, blue, warm waters invited me and I gladly and eagerly walked into her.  The energy she offered was calming, compassionate, giving, loving and unconditional.  It is no wonder that Jesus and his disciples spent so much time here, teaching, learning, sharing and feasting.

being blessed by the Sea of Galilee
being blessed by the Sea of Galilee
Our accommodations for the last two nights were in Nazareth at the Sisters of Nazareth convent, which is just across the street from the Church of the Annunciation.  This is said to be the place where the Angel Gabriel came to Mary and told her she would give birth to Jesus.

steeple of the Church of the Annunciation
in the morning new moon light
Our final day found us at the Mount of Beatitudes.  "Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth."  Jesus said here.

Mt. of Beatitudes Church
However, as our interfaith teachers offered, these passages can be some of the most difficult to truly understand.  What does it mean to be poor in spirit?  How can I be meek enough to inherit the earth, and what do I inherit?  In this place, the upper Galilee, the words and history call us to listen with our hearts more than our heads.  Poor in spirit -  those who are seeking, longing and thirsting for God.  That is where we find our joy, our love and our most fulfilling efforts.  Not in sitting back and thinking that I understand it all, that I've 'got it', but that I struggle and desire to know more and be more.  That is heaven, that is the place where I am most fulfilled.  Meekness, humility, humbleness - a mind and heart that is empty, a beginners mind (as the Buddhists describe). In this way, the world is for me a wondrous discovery of all aspects of life, all possibilities and all paradoxes.

The last afternoon, walking the streets of Nazareth, my nose led me to a most amazing discovery - a spice shop.  El Babour.  A place with no sign on the outside, I was literally led with my nose.  Inside a beautiful array of sacks and baskets with nearly every spice I have heard of and many I did not know.  A bag half the size of me was full of Saffron!  The staff spoke only Arabic, but were able to help us purchase what we wanted, including a sweatshirt with their beautiful logo.  Wearing it, I can still smell the spices.


So many more experiences and teachings happened on this amazing trip.  When asked the question, "What was the most memorable?"  I stumble to answer - Mt of Olives; the Western Wall; the other pilgrims who are now connected to my heart forever; all our beautiful teachers; chanting "Shalom, Salaam, Peace near the wall in Palestine; walking through the streets of the Old City with all its languages, scents and colors; finding the Jerusalem Bird Observatory - a one acre sanctuary for wildlife that is a model for other urban wildlife centers in the Middle East; laughing and crying in the same moment because of the joy and pain felt in this region; sitting in meditation with the pilgrims as we share contemplative practices that feed us; hugs and squeezes silently sharing love; sharing the stories of our lives; and realizing this trip will continue to unfold me and change me.

What I know now is that my ministry must be to bring a voice of Interfaith peace and compassion to the world.  What that looks like I am open to discovering.  May each one of us be blessed with an open heart clear enough to see and listen with our whole being. May we experience each other as One as often as possible and access compassion and forgiveness when that is more difficult.  May we all offer and receive peace that leads to inner and outer security.  May peace prevail in Israel-Palestine and in each heart of the world.

Thank you for reading and commenting.  I will continue to post here as my integration unfolds.
Shalom, Salaam, Shanti, Peace

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for putting together this beautiful blog. I love your pictures and comments. I continue to process our trip - have been asked to preach for the Interfaith Thanksgiving Service in my town next Sunday. Like you, I know my ministry must be about Interfaith dialogue and compassion. That requires keeping open hearts to the whole faith story.

    The pictures you took on my camera at the Dome of the Rock and the Western Wall are fantastic!

    Susan Izard

    ReplyDelete