02 November 2010

Last Day in Jerusalem

Our last day in Jerusalem and I was already feeling full.  Full of so much information, so much joy and pain and love, and so much experience.  Upon visiting the Dome of the Rock I was struck by its beauty, not just the golden dome, but the Islamic writing on the tiles above and around it.  The name of God is written there, as well as prayers. In Islam, the art is the script of their language and it is incredibly beautiful.



The Dome of the Rock is the third holiest site for Muslims (after Mecca and Medina).  It is the place where the Prophet Mohammed was "taken" by the angel Gabriel to pray with Abraham, Moses and Jesus in what is described as a vision.  The rock is housed in this gloriously beautiful temple.  No entrance is permitted by non-Muslims, and the site itself has been at the center of many political disputes and violence.  For Jews, it is the holiest spot because it is believed to be the place where Abraham prepared to sacrifice Isaac and where the Holy of Holies was located.  The Holy of Holies was the most inner place of the first and second Temples, where only high priests were allowed to enter, and only on certain occasions.


I walked the plaza around the Temple as people of every faith and nationality were there.  Muslim women, some in full covering, some not; people of every age and color.  I walked the perimeter of the building praying the Muslim prayer "Al ilaha il Allah" with the intention that this place could become a center of peace once again, for all faiths.  As I looked up and saw the city of Jerusalem beyond the open arches, a Kestrel circled overhead.  A sign of peace?  I accepted it as so.

At the Western Wall we entered through a different place than I had a couple of days ago.  A huge Mezuzah greeted us.  To guard and protect, and to bless all who enter.


At the Western Wall we received a teaching of how the Jews were not allowed access to the Wall, nor the Old City after 1948 because it was under the control of the Jordanians.  After the 6 day war in 1967, Jews gained access again.  As people came to the Wall after that time they wailed with joy and grief (hence the previous name of the Wailing Wall).  Now the Western Wall is a most prayerful place, and even though men and women are separated, the energy is palpable - hope, grief, possibility, intention, longing, pain, joy, comfort, and a deep desire for a better life.  



I leaned my whole body against the Wall and prayed, again.  I prayed all the prayers that people sent with me. I prayed for all those who can not come to the Wall - those who have passed, those who are unable, and those who couldn't this time. I prayed for all those there who were praying - may their prayers be heard.   And I prayed that all the unmentioned intentions in our hearts are heard.

I also prayed for clarity and discernment for my path.  In Jewish tradition, the highest form of charity/service is to help someone help themselves (teach them to fish).  In Muslim tradition, the seventh level that the Prophet Mohammed saw in his vision was that of service to others - to change, structurally, so that others may be freed from bondage.  I know I am to be of service to others, and I pray that in whatever way I am called to serve that it be to help change lives in ways that relieve suffering and contribute to freedom in many forms.

May we all be given the gift of clarity of knowledge to be able to help change the structures that still keep people in bondage in many ways.  Today, in America it is election day.  This is a time when people do have the opportunity to change the structure of things politically - even if that change happens at a slower pace than what we would like.  I hope you all vote today, and I hope that whatever the outcome, it is for the greater good!
Shalom, Salaam, Peace

ps - Tomorrow we leave for Safed (the place of the Jewish mystics), Galilee, and Nazareth.  This will be my last post until after I leave Israel, as the convent where we will stay for the remainder of our time has no internet access.  Thank you for reading my offerings.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your wonderful writing, and the amazing pictures. It was such a pleasure to "follow" you. I know you are back from your travels now, you must still be integrating the trip...so I look forward to hearing more about it and seeing you soon.
    Love,
    Adele

    ReplyDelete