29 April 2011

Angel at Taco Bell

The other day I was out running errands and feeling a bit down, ruminating on how challenging life is, and how groundless my own life feels.  I needed a bite to eat and decided on cheap and fast. I would have usually gone to the drive-thru, but it was busy so I parked and walked into the restaurant.

A young, large, dark man beamed from behind the counter and was curious about the collection of Interfaith charms I wear around my neck. William instantly recognized the Buddhist dharma wheel, the Hindu "Om", the Tao yin-yan and the Jewish Star of David. His eyes sparkled with spirit and life I had not seen for a long time, and what I did not expect from someone working at Taco Bell.

William told me he was deeply spiritual, studying and reading many teachers.  He lit up talking about his gratitude for his life now. Curious, I asked him about his story.  At 25 years old, William had been homeless for several years, and for the last 2 years his job at Taco Bell allowed him to live in his own apartment, connect with a spiritual community, turn his life around and give him hope and gratitude for so many people and experiences in his life. I told William his light was brilliant, and that he had no idea how much I needed to hear his story.  His beaming face continued to illuminate as he served my order.

Angels appear when we need them, even if it's in a place and time we would never expect.

 

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! So glad you got some inspiration at the right moment.

    ReplyDelete