30 August 2009

"and from way up here you all look like ants."

The other day I cleaned up some of my long hair on the bathroom floor and noticed a bug, kind of ear-wig looking, kind of small beetle-ish. It wasn’t moving so I assumed it was dead. I was in a hurry so I left it on the floor until later. The next time I went into the bathroom there was a swarm of ants on this dead bug. I was fascinated. Ants usually appear in my cottage when it’s hot and when there are sweet crumbs to enjoy. This was a bug! I went to grab a tissue to “clean” up the swarm and the bug, then something stopped me. A question. What if I left it? The ants were just doing what ants do and what we all do, really. Eating. Food shopping. Gathering. Who am I to kill these beings? Gross! Some might say. Bugs carry disease (the maternal voice in my head yelled). But I was compelled to wait and watch. After a time the little, stalwart ants carried the bug a foot from its original location. A foot for ants is like a mile for us. Could I carry something 5 times my size that far? With help perhaps, like the ants.

I stopped and witnessed because of curiosity. I saw and appreciated a strength and cooperation in the seemingly mundane, yet life affirming acts of coming together for a common life sustaining purpose.

What else might I learn when I pause from my usual, automatic reactions to life? What else might I experience if I question commonly held beliefs? What openings and affirmations might be gifted if I allow myself simple curiosity ?

No comments:

Post a Comment